Just Culture Repository
On this page you can find documentation regarding Just Culture in Railways. From regulations to groups and practices - it's all here. Enjoy the reading!
Regulations are documents of legal nature which describe the way institutions, corporate entities, governments, and/or prosecution offices across the world approach the balance between safety and justice.
- Directive (EU) 2016/798 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Railway Safety
- Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act
Policies are documents of non-legal nature which describes the way institutions, corporate entities, governments, and/or prosecution offices across the world approach the balance between safety and justice.
The document accessible below a showcast Just Culture Policies in the Railway industry:
- Safety and Just Culture Within Railways Presentation by European Union Agency for Railways, 2016
- A Simplified View On External Influence Of Operational Safety Culture Presentation by European Union Agency for Railways, 2017
- Model Policy Regarding Criminal Investigation And Prosecution Of Aviation And Railway Accidents EUROCONTROL, 2018
- Common Occurence Reporting Programme by European Union Agency for Railways
For railways, the organization involved in Just Culture is ERA. Below you can find some of its activities regarding this subject:
- ERA - European Union Agency for Railways
The cases below have been analysed from a Just Culture perspective:
- Viareggio railway accident and Just Culture by Federico Franchina
- Railway Level Crossings - A Personal Journey by Tina Hughes
- VIAREGGIO RAIL ACCIDENT:CONCLUSION OF THE ITALIANFIRST INSTANCE COURT by Francesca Pellegrino
- Clayton Tunnel – Can we shine any more light on it today?
- Santiago Train Crash: Human Error Over Decades, Not Just Seconds
- Spain Train Crash Driver Admits Speeding In Emergency Call Recording
- Spain Train Crash: Driver Told Judge He Was "Distracted"
- It’s Probably a Mistake to Prosecute the Driver of the Spanish Train that Derailed and Killed 79 People
- Spain Train Crash:Driver Facing 80 Homicide Charges, But Rail Bosses Cleared
- Driver In Fatal Santiago Train Crash Faces Up To 4 Years In Prison
- How Responsible Can Individual Staff Be Made For The Occurrence Of An Accident?
- Philadelphia Amtrak Crash: Driver Faces Criminal Charges
- Blame in Italy cable car deaths rests with technician who disabled emergency brake, judge rules
The documents below offer some guidance when it comes to the application of Just Culture in the Railway Industry.
The articles below provide practical examples of Just Culture implementation:
- HMRI: Experiences of enforcing Health and Safety Law by Patrick Talbot, Office of Rail and Road
- ERA Just Culture and Safety Culture Activities
Enforcement Decision Making on the UK Railway. Enforcement Management Model and its practical application by Paul Appleton