If you wish to contribute or participate in the discussions about articles you are invited to join SKYbrary as a registered user
From SKYbrary Wiki
Published in July 2021, HindSight 32 focused on the theme of The new reality.
Welcome to issue 32 of EUROCONTROL’s HindSight magazine, the magazine on human and organisational factors in operations, in air traffic management and beyond. This issue concerns ‘the new reality’ that we are facing. It includes a wide variety of articles from front-line staff and specialists in safety, human factors, psychology, aeromedical, and human and organisational performance in aviation. There are also insights from healthcare, shipping, rail, community development and psychotherapy. The articles reflect how many stakeholders have adjusted and adapted, and the implications of the new reality, for individuals, operational teams, support teams, management, organisations (including operators and service providers), regulators, and intergovernmental aviation organisations. What is clear is that the pandemic has affected everyone. The importance of resilience for individuals, groups, organisations and whole sectors has become more apparent than ever, along with the need for mutual support to get through the crisis.
HindSight 32 Articles
The Long Read
- A global aeromedical perspective on the new reality, an interview with ICAO’s Ansa Jordaan, by Steven Shorrock.
From Research to Practice
Views from the Ground
- Should we throw ATM out with the bathwater?, by Anders Ellerstrand.
- Vaccination strategies and ATCO preparedness for traffic recovery in European air navigation service providers, by Stijn de Graaff.
- The day that turned into a year, by Courtney Jaeger and Rhian Williams-Skingley.
- Online teaching and facilitation: Lessons from experience, by Ceca Bunjevac and Steven Shorrock.
- Human and organisational factors challenges and opportunities for ANSPs
- Human and organisational factors Q&A: Remote towers, by Osman Saafan and colleagues.
Views from the Air
- Fatigue and currency: How more down time may increase risk this summer, by Katy Lee.
- Back in the saddle: Adjustments to the new reality of work at American Airlines, by Bogomir Glavan.
- Marginal gains in safety, wellbeing and performance at Cathay, by Pete McCarthy.
- French safety study on the low activity period, by DSAC Safety Management Coordination Team.
Human Performance in The Spotlight
Views from Elsewhere
- A surgeon’s take on human and organisational factors, a conversation with Manoj Kumar.
- Adjusting to major life changes, by Stephen Joseph and Steven Shorrock.
- The seven habits of highly connected people, by Cormac Russell.
- Why won’t workers speak up? The difference between psychological safety and trust, by Nippin Anand.