SE125: Cargo Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Processing
From SKYbrary Wiki
|Category:||CAST SE Plan|
This safety enhancement reduces cargo-related accidents and incidents by preventing undeclared hazardous material from entering the shipping system by developing and implementing a system to identify and process undeclared hazardous material through a multi-tier system incorporating the following:
- Education: Shipping companies ensure their education program teaches employees and customers how to recognize hazardous material and the consequences of shipping undeclared hazardous material.
- Identification: Shipping companies develop a system to explicitly query customers as to the nature of the material being shipped and develop and implement packaging that is easier to inspect after sealing.
- Inspection: Shipping companies develop and implement a program to search packages.
- Regulation and Oversight: Regulators and shipping companies coordinate industry-wide implementation of electronic tracking of hazardous materials.
- Regulators increase oversight inspections to detect and prosecute shippers and customers who fail to identify hazardous material.
Related Implementation Plan
The aviation industry, including the FAA's Office of Security and Hazardous Materials Safety (ASH), has developed and implemented improved regulations, methods, technology and training to detect and prevent undeclared hazardous materials from entering the shipping systems. These actions, which may be accessed at ASH's Air Carrier Information, have completed the intent of this SE.