If you wish to contribute or participate in the discussions about articles you are invited to join SKYbrary as a registered user
Delhi/Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport
From SKYbrary Wiki
|ICAO: VIDP – IATA: DEL|
|Name||Delhi/Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport|
|Region||Asia and Pacific|
|Location||Palam, National Capitol Region of Delhi|
|Elevation||236.83 m <br />777 ft <br />777 ft236.83 m <br />|
|Coordinates||28° 33' 29.92" N, 77° 5' 38.47" E|
|Station||New Delhi / Palam|
|Date/Time||19 September 2021 21:00:00|
|Wind speed||04 kts|
|Lowest cloud amount||few clouds|
|Tag(s)||Parallel Runway Operation|
Low Level Turbulence
International airport serving the city of New Delhi.
Humid “subtropical” climate (Köppen climate classification Cwa) - characterized by hot, humid summers and cool winters.
Overnight radiation fog in winter is a well-recognised problem.
Accidents & Serious Incidents at or in vicinity of VIDP
- A320 / B738, vicinity Delhi India, 2016 (On 30 January 2016, an Airbus A320 crew cleared for an ILS approach to runway 11 at Delhi reported established on the runway 11 LLZ but were actually on the runway 09 LLZ in error and continued on that ILS finally crossing in front of a Boeing 737-800 on the ILS for runway 10. The Investigation found that the A320 crew had not noticed they had the wrong ILS frequency set and that conflict with the 737 occurred because Approach transferred the A320 to TWR whilst a conflict alert was active and without confirming it was complying with its clearance.)
- A320, vicinity Delhi India, 2017 (On 21 June 2017, an Airbus A320 number 2 engine began vibrating during the takeoff roll at Delhi after a bird strike. After continuing the takeoff, the Captain subsequently shut down the serviceable engine and set the malfunctioning one to TO/GA and it was several minutes before the error was recognised. After an attempted number 1 engine restart failed because an incorrect procedure was followed, a second attempt succeeded. By this time inattention to airspeed loss had led to ALPHA floor protection activation. Eventual recovery was followed by a return to land with the malfunctioning engine at flight idle.)
- A320/B738, vicinity Delhi India, 2013 (On 2 September 2013, a B737 crew were not instructed to go around from their approach by ATC as it became increasingly obvious that an A320 departing the same runway would not be airborne in time for a landing clearance to be issued. They initiated a go around over the threshold and then twice came into conflict with the A320 as both climbed on similar tracks without ATC de-confliction, initially below the height where TCAS RAs are functional. Investigation attributed the conflict to ATC but the failure to effectively deal with the consequences jointly to ATC and both aircraft crews.)
- B738, Delhi India, 2014 (On 5 January 2014, a Boeing 737-800 operating a domestic flight into Dehli diverted to Jaipur due to destination visibility being below approach minima but had to break off the approach there when the aircraft ahead was "substantially damaged" during landing, blocking the only runway. There was just enough fuel to return to Dehli as a MAYDAY flight and successfully land below applicable minima and with minimal fuel remaining. The Investigation found that a different alternate with better weather conditions would have been more appropriate and that the aircraft operator had failed to provide sufficient ground-based support to the flight.)
- B763 / A320, Delhi India, 2017 (On 8 August 2017, a Boeing 767-300 departing Delhi was pushed back into a stationary and out of service Airbus A320 on the adjacent gate rendering both aircraft unfit for flight. The Investigation found that the A320 had been instructed to park on a stand that was supposed to be blocked, a procedural requirement if the adjacent stand is to be used by a wide body aircraft and although this error had been detected by the stand allocation system, the alert was not noticed, in part due to inappropriate configuration. It was also found that the pushback was commenced without wing walkers.)